Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Well Isn't That the Munchkin Calling the Midget Short?

Hey Yall,
Caitlin here- I have to admit I caught myself being a little hypocritical today. Some call it the pot calling the kettle black. As the title suggests I like calling it the munchkin calling the midget short. Anywho.... I just blogged about being worth the effort to get in shape and push yourself. Well, I enjoy running at night. I usually don't like to start running until at least 9pm or later. I like it because no one is around. Don't worry, I live in a very safe neighborhood, so I'm really not too worried about running at night. Anyway, I happened to have this evening off of work, which rarely happens. That meant I was able to spend the evening relaxing and was in my Pj's rather early. I knew I needed to go run, but kept putting it off. I just kept giving myself excuses like "I'm already in bed" or "I'm too comfy" or "I'm too tired, I'll do it tomorrow" although I knew full well that if I didn't do it tonight I would most likely not do it tomorrow either. That is when I realized just how hypocritical I was being. Here I am telling everyone to put forth the effort to get healthy, yet I myself was not willing to do so- shame on me! I then got out of bed, got my workout clothes on, and went for a run.  Boy am I glad I did!!!

Once I was outside I did my stretching. I then prayed that God would have pandora play a bunch of songs I like to help keep me motivated and decided that I was going to attempt to run a mile. For me this is huge because I am fairly certain I have never run a mile before. I then took off and began my jog. I have to say, I did not make it a full mile, but boy was I close! Definitely the farthest I have run yet. I ran roughly 8/10 or 9/10 of a mile. I was so close to having the mile, but I knew I was at my limit, and decided to be smart and stop. Needless to say I am so proud of myself from getting up off the couch and not just getting a walk in, but running the farthest I have to date. Today made me feel for the first time that maybe, just maybe, a 5k is obtainable. I have NEVER felt that way before. I have now come up with the goal to run a mile by the end of the week. I think if I try hard and stay consistent that I can do it.

Caitlin

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. It just hit me that I can walk/jog/run at night too. I can do it around the church. The house is close and I will never very far away from it. So when the kids are sleeping I can get out and exercise.

    No more excuses for me!

    ReplyDelete